Monday, March 3, 2014

A Day's Legacy


 I took this photo very early one morning in 2005. I couldn't tell you the day of the week, but I know I was getting ready for work so it must have been a weekday. I was also missing my boyfriend (who would become my husband) very much. The thought of having to face a day of work only to come home to our home and not see his face was filling me with dread.  I was in my bathroom and saw the reflection of this sunrise in my vanity mirror. Of course, I had to grab my camera before it disappeared into day. I wanted to savor the moment. And although the details of the moment are gone and almost a decade has passed, this simple sunrise has a legacy. It made the dread I had felt waking up alone go away. I became instantly grateful for waking up and knowing that even though he wasn't with me to share the moment, he was "there" for me in every other way.

  I think that's why I got so involved in photography this time around.  I took photography in high school and college.  And my 1st real job was in a small-town photography studio.  But I just didn't appreciate it the same way I do now. I find so much comfort in capturing my children's days and nights; good moments and moments that can only be described as "birth control". But moments that no matter what is going on, I can find appreciation for life; MY life.

  I've also started to keep two journals (in addition to this blog): a one-sentence journal and a gratitude journal. I want to make note of the positives, which not surprisingly, are just simple, small, everyday blessings. In the spirit of living in the moment, I have to put the camera and my journals down and JUST BE, as well. But my goal, my wish is to make each day of my life a little legacy; small, insignificant moments that remind me that it's so easy to find happiness. You just have to keep your eyes and heart open.


"When you are older you will understand how precious little things, seemingly of no value in themselves, can be loved and prized above all price when they convey the love and thoughtfulness of a good heart."
~ Edwin Booth

No comments:

Post a Comment