Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Big Lesson From a Little Spider

“Oh, Charlotte,” he said. “To think that when I first met you I thought you were cruel and bloodthirsty!” 

When he recovered from his emotion, he spoke again. 

“Why did you do all this for me?” he asked. “I don’t deserve it. I’ve never done anything for you.” 

“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that.” 

~ from Charlotte's Web, Chaper XXI - Last Day by E.B. White
 

  'Charlotte's Web' was the 1st book I ever read all by myself and I will never forget it, both for its prose and its poignancy.  As a child, I already understood that friendship was a great thing.  One of life's greatest gifts.  And as I re-read this story again with my children, it speaks for more than just friendship, but for humanity and life, in general.

  A human's life can be "something of a mess", too.  And our mess is slightly more messy than just trapping and eating flies.  There's far too many messes to list, really. 

  And we've all met people we've seen in a very one-dimensional way at first; only taking in the qualities of that person that were less than flattering.  But if a pig can find the deeper, more complementary attributes in a spider and the spider can lift up their life, why can't we do the same for one another? Why can't we look a little deeper or just accept that each of us has a life's battle to face and appreciate their efforts and help lift them up when they fall short? Why not give something of ourselves because we like the life we have been given and the people we share it with?

  The web you weave should reflect to life you want to live and the love you give. We all have "Some Human" in our life who is "Terrific" and "Radiant" and "Humble"... so tell them, but above all, SHOW THEM.  And when you take the time to lift up your life a trifle, I am sure you'll find that you're all those things, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment